Redrawing Alameda County
Every 10 years, district lines are redrawn based upon Census data. We are committed to making this process transparent and collaborative.
Welcome to the Alameda County Redistricting 2021 website where you will find information about Alameda County’s redistricting process and how you can get involved.
What is Redistricting?
Every ten years, supervisorial districts must be redrawn so that each district is substantially equal in population. This process, called redistricting, is important in ensuring that each Board of Supervisors member represents about the same number of constituents. In the County of Alameda, the Board of Supervisors is responsible for drawing these supervisorial districts. Redistricting is done using U.S. Census data, which is usually released around March 31, 2021, but is expected to be delayed until August due to the COVID-19 pandemic. For the County of Alameda, the redistricting process must be completed by December 15, 2021.
Why is Redistricting important?
Redistricting determines which neighborhoods and communities are grouped together into a supervisorial district for purposes of electing a Board of Supervisor member. You have an opportunity to share how you think district boundaries should be drawn to best represent your community.
How can I get involved?
The Board of Supervisors will be holding hearings and workshops to receive public input on where district lines should be drawn. Those hearings and workshops will be determined and posted on the Meetings page.
Sign up to be added to the distribution list for redistricting information.
You can conveniently submit your input online.
- Outreach Plan Approved
- Redistricting Consultant Hired
- Outreach Plan Implementation
- Training Workshop
- Website Soft Launch
- Online Mapping Application Available
- Public outreach and education
- Training Workshop
- Establish Redistricting Map Review Process
- Public Hearing on Communities of Interest
- Redistricting Data is expected Sept 30
- Redistricting Maps Proposed
- Board reviews submitted maps
- Public input on Redistricting Maps
- Public Hearings
- First Reading of ordinance adopting Final Map – Dec 7
- Second Reading and adoption of Final Map – Dec 14
Sign-up to get email updates.